Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Clam Chowder

clam chowder

Who does not love a hot bowl of Clam Chowder? I actually dream about this soup, really it just does not get better than this. A rich creamy, velvety soup that hits the spot. This soup is perfect for a dinner party. It's easy enough that you won't be stressing and in the kitchen neglecting your guests, but the outcome is so exquisite everyone will think you slaved over the meal.


Ingredients


1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp.) of unsalted butter, divided
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cup of celery, diced
2 cups of carrots, diced
3 cups of boiling potatoes, diced
1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 cups clam juice
1 quart chicken stock
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 cups chopped fresh chowder clams


Directions


Melt 4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter in a large heavy stock pot. Add onions and cook over medium low heat until onions are soft. Add celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper saute' for 10 minutes. Add the clam juice and chicken stock and bring to a boil, let simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. In a small pot melt the remaining 8 Tbsp. of butter and whisk in the flour. Cook over very low heat for a couple of minutes constantly stirring. Whisk in one cup of the hot broth and then pour this mixture back into the cooked vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes until the broth is thickened. Add the cream and the clams and heat gently for a few minutes to cook the clams. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. My boys LOVE clam chowder! I would be the bee's knees if I made this! :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is David's favorite so I must try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I love this soup too.Your recipe looks simple enough, I like that. Your food photos are always so beautiful. I love all your presentations, dishes used for each dish. Do you always cook like this? I would love to come for dinner sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Denise. I do always cook like this. I am constantly reminding my family that they are very well fed. Sometimes I boycot and give dinner duty to my husband, that usually means cold cereal for dinner.Thank you again for your sweet comments, I'm off to go make dinner;)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this soup for my boys....who aren't always easy to please and they LOVED it! The recipe was super easy to follow, no disasters! Thanks so much Laura! You're going to make me a good cook!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!